Tuesday, December 16, 2008

TONI PRICE at Armadillo Christmas Bazaar 12-14-08

The Armadillo Christmas Bazaar is a yearly event with the theme of "Live Music & Art Keep Austin Cool!"  It started 33 years ago as a honky-tonk bar shopping experience at the Armadillo World Headquarters but is now held at the Austin Convention Center.  Hence, the charm is not what it once was, but it is still one heck of an event.
You know, when I think of Toni, my first reaction is laughing.  Not sure if that's good or bad since she's a singer, but that's my reaction.  She is just so darn funny.
Sunday afternoon from 3:30-6:00 Toni and Rich Brotherton took the stage.  It's neat because you can shop and hear the performer throughout the hall or you can hang out at the stage to watch and listen.
Toni was Toni with her shots of Jack lined up on a little table.  One fan brought her a Jack and coke.  Toni winced and said "well, I guess I can spit the coke out!"  She took a sip from it, winced again and said "I need a strainer!"  She didn't sip out of that glass anymore.  I still can't get over how much whiskey she can put away.  
Later in the show she mentioned she had once gone home with an Armadillo.  We all were howling, Rich almost fell off his chair and she said "yep, that's the naked truth!"  It's like that the entire time she's on stage.  You never know what's going to come out of her mouth but it is always hilarious.
I put several of the songs she did on video and late in the show she played "Doubt If It Does To You."  It was stunning.   I guess you can say what you want about her drinking but it sure seems to work for her. 

No comments: