Thursday, December 4, 2008

BETTYSOO, JENNY REYNOLDS, MATT THE ELECTRICIAN at Momo's 12-3-08

Good surprises are always the best, aren't they?  We went out tonight for an early show at Momo's because bettysoo was performing and we haven't seen her since the summer.  When I saw she was doing this show it said along with Jenny Reynolds.  I didn't know who she was so I went to her myspace page and listened to everything she had available there.  My thought was wow, how have I not been aware of her before now?  But that is the thing about living in Austin.  You think you are musically aware but there are so many good artists in this town it would be a full time job trying to see/hear/know about all of them.
So off we go expecting a good one hour set for $5.  I know, that is crazy cheap.
We got a great, intimate set.  It was a "song swap" format with each of the women taking turns playing a song.  They are quite different from each other stylistically but the one thing they have in common is great songwriting.  Jenny goes more along the path of Americana while bettysoo is straight ahead folk.  They think they may do more of these shows together so we're hopeful.  It's always nice when you can see shows like this where it's just the artist and their guitar, the songs stripped down.  I always feel like I'm sort of getting to hear how the song was written, before the band brings it to life.   
Lastly, bettysoo brought her homemade butter and sugar cookies for the audience and they were killer!  How can it get any better than an artist not only bringing her songs but dessert too?
Our plan was to leave after this show but we stayed to catch a couple of Matt The Electrician's songs.  He has been on my radar for a very long time as someone I really need to get out and see.  Ended up staying for his entire set.  He's great!  Really nice melodies and a stellar band including Scrappy Jud Newcomb on lead guitar, one of Austin's best.  
Check out the videos from tonight on my youtube page.  Intimate performances like this are the best.

No comments: