Thursday, September 25, 2008

CHARLIE ROBISON at Hill's Cafe 9-24-08

My friend, Liz, from the great state of Illinois, has joined us for ACL 2008. The 3 of us headed out to see Charlie. We didn't find out he was playing until that afternoon when a friend called about the free show.
I was excited as I've never seen him. I've seen his brother, Bruce, a number of times.
The place was packed! Turns out it was being broadcast live on one of the local radio stations. It drew a very young, raucous crowd. We managed to make our way to the front of the stage though!
Charlie had an acoustic lead guitarist helping out. There was a 3rd chair set up and when I spotted Bruce in the crowd I knew we were going to see a good show. Bruce has always talked about Charlie being his hero. Charlie did maybe 4 or 5 of his songs before bringing Bruce up. His music is what I would call Texas roadhouse, hard living, saloon songs.
After Bruce joined him, they took turns playing each others songs. A couple of Bruce's were Rayne, Louisiana and Wrapped. They were having a great time playing together and it was fun to be a part of it.

No comments: