Sunday, April 4, 2010

SXSW 2010 Wednesday 3-17 Day Shows

Decided to go to Joe's Bar for most of the day as they had a couple of people I really wanted to see, Steve Poltz, who always puts on a wild show and Anne McCue, a rocker who I've been a big fan of for many years but had never seen.
These day shows at most places are free. Joe's is not a place I ever hang out at and is not what I would call a real Austin live music venue. In other words, I suffered through putting up with this place because of the talent on that day. Just to give you an idea, when you walked in their door they had a welcome sign letting you know they'd sell you a bottle of water for $5. As soon as I saw that I was determined not to spend a dime there. Not Austin style to rip people off like that.
Some highlights for me were:
Hearing Tom Freund for the 1st time. Absolutely loved him and sure want to hear more of this guy.
Freedy Johnston was great and had Jon Dee Graham playing in his band. He has a new record recently out and we got to hear several from it. I still need to buy that thing.
Randy Weeks put on a rollicking fun, country rockin' show. It was a 1/2 hour of nonstop toe tapping!
Steve Poltz was his usual off the wall self. He played the baseball song and this time mentioned Harry Caray (thank you, Steve, about time you fit him in there!). But the coolest thing was, during this song, playing a recording of the play by play when the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series, through his iPhone.
Anne McCue, seemingly distracted, I thought, still did not disappoint. She has great songs, a cool voice and is a kickass guitar player. She also had the great Dony Wynn drumming, a horn section and had Amy Cook sing on a couple of songs. It was fantastic!

No comments: