Sunday, July 19, 2009

KGSR LONE STAR STATE OF MIND at Saxon Pub featuring OMAR & THE HOWLERS, BETTYSOO & CHARLIE FAYE 7-17-09

This is a show that happens monthly at Saxon. KGSR sponsors it, brings in good bands and broadcasts it live.
First up was Omar & The Howlers. They are a 3 piece blues band. If you've never heard Omar just imagine if Wolfman Jack could sing. A voice screaming for the blues. I still can't get over some of the cool acts we get to see in small clubs. Anyway, Omar & The Howlers were a lot of fun. He just rips it, voice and guitar. I loved the drummer. He is very animated. He had this lonesome, little looking drum kit and beat the heck out of it. Really drove the band. They played for an hour or so. Straight ahead southern blues.
After Omar came BettySoo with her band. Jeff Plankenhorn seems to be her steady lead guitarist these days and I like that. He sounds so good with her. They played maybe 35-45 minutes. Charlie Faye joined her to do the background vocals on "Never Knew No Love." They have been playing Bob Dylan's "Gotta Serve Somebody" pretty often and they do a great job with it. Really funk it up pretty well.
After BettySoo came Charlie Faye with her band. She has Will Sexton on lead guitar. They write together also. She just released a cd this past week called "Wilson Street." Named after the street she lives on in Austin. I'm just getting to know her and I like her writing and her voice. She rocks it quite a bit also and I appreciate that. She has one of those really good bluesy, rich, kind of sultry voices. She can do a lot with it and belts it now and then, too. BettySoo joined her for a cover of John Fullbright's "Blameless." I'm going to wander off here. He is a 20 year old kid or so from Oklahoma who, according to these 2 ladies, writes well beyond his years. I've only heard this 1 song and I believe them. So, the 2 of them singing together was great to hear. Lastly, she brought up Ruby James. They did 1 of her songs and then she helped out on 1 of Charlie's. I loved her! Love it when you hear someone for the 1st time and they knock you out. Also very cool is I have 1 of her cd's at home that I haven't listened to yet. KGSR gives cd's away at their Unplugged shows and this is one I picked up a couple of weeks ago. You usually get some decent finds and now that I've actually heard her live I am really looking forward to listening to her record.
So, a full Friday night of great music with a cheap $10 cover.

No comments: