Monday, June 22, 2009

SHELLEY KING and ELIZABETH WILLS at ArtZ Ribhouse 6-17-09

This was a song swap at a little rib joint in South Austin. They open up a little corner of the main dining room and set up the musicians there. They were fun together, playing and singing on each others music.
Shelley has a brand new record coming out soon called "Welcome Home." The Subdudes play on it and produced it. She played several, including the 1st single which is called Summer Wine. It is very catchy and already getting some airplay on Triple A Radio stations. See it and listen here as I did video it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOBFK-13qXw&feature=channel_page

Shelley is the 2008 Official State of Texas Musician. First female ever! She's written many songs which have been covered by the likes of Toni Price, among others. We are lucky she is living here in Austin and we can go out and see her in a small room. She had the new cd for sale at this show and I didn't buy it. I figured I could pick it up at Waterloo later on but it turns out it's not released yet so I am kicking myself for not picking it up! Shelley won my heart when she gave a young, blind boy one of her new cds for free. There was a large table with many blind kids. This one boy was really getting into Shelley and when they got up to leave he went up to Shelley. I don't know what was said as Elizabeth was playing at the time. Anyway, the boy was accompanied by an adult and Shelley pointed to her cds sitting on a table. I think the adult said something about him not having any money and Shelley said to take the cd. May not seem like a big deal but they were working on this night for tips and whatever cds they sold. I thought it was great she did that.
Shelley plays a raucous, rocking, country, folk, blues hybrid. She's really good. Check out her music on her myspace page.
Elizabeth, I'm much less familiar with having seen her only one other time but I like what I've heard. Sweet melodies, writes from the heart, lots of relationship songs. I need to buy some of her music and get more acquainted with her. She played some new songs she has written and mentioned she'll be going into the studio to start recording next month. It will be fun to hear more of the new songs and then see how the record sounds once it comes out. I'm anxious to hear her with a band. Both times I've seen her have been solo.
These women are good guitar players on top of everything else.
They will be doing this gig every Wednesday for a while so I hope to catch them again at ArtZ.

No comments: