Tuesday, May 19, 2009

JESS KLEIN at Flipnotics 5-16-09

Finally got to see a Jess Klein show. This is someone I had been aware of for a number of years but didn't own any of her music nor had I ever seen a live show. Recently, I saw her do 2 songs at a Springsteen tribute and her performance made me realize I really needed to check her out.
Saturday night, I finally got that chance. First off, just like that tribute show indicated, she grabs you straight away. People either have stage presence or they don't, I think. She has it big time. This is not a singer/songwriter who gets up and strums and sings. Jess is very, very soulful. And the way she moves, you almost feel you are intruding by watching (almost!). You really can't take your eyes off her.
Since I'm not familiar with her music to begin with, at this point all I can say is I want to hear more. There were several new songs played and all sounded terrific. The new record should be coming out in late summer, hopefully.
She throws in some blues, a little bit of everything, really. And, she's a good guitarist! Always love it when they get up there and can do something besides play 3 chords!
The show consisted of 2 sets. The first, Jess was by herself. The second set brought Scrappy Jud Newcomb up to play some electric guitar. He's my favorite guitarist here in Austin so this was a big bonus for me! The guy just adds so much to whomever he is playing with.
It was a fun evening, a small room but also a small crowd. This, I will never understand. We do have many choices every night in Austin. For example, I skipped Slaid Cleaves' cd release at Cactus to see Jess, but still...she should be drawing larger crowds. She's too good not to.
I look forward to seeing her again soon, I hope. Would also love to see her with a full band. I'm sure she must rock it!

No comments: