Tuesday, September 30, 2008

ACL 2008 Day 1 Friday 9-26-08 RODNEY CROWELL

First up is Rodney Crowell. There are 2 main stages at ACL. Rodney is playing on one of them & the other main stage act at the same time is Asleep At The Wheel. Linda has already changed her mind & says she'll go to Rodney & skip Asleep. We got front row, up against the rail for his show. It was a great start to our festival. He had Will Kimbrough on lead guitar. Will has played with Rodney for quite a while now. He also does some singing. He had a woman on violin, mandolin and harmony vocals. I wish I could remember her name. She was great. Rodney has a new record out called Sex & Gasoline. It's obviously very political. He played several from it but also many from his entire catalog. I did video Earth Bound and it turned out great. Catch it on my YouTube link if you're a fan of his. This was a 1 hour set. It flew by. Many put him into the country music category but I consider him more of a folk singer who leans toward country. Regardless, he's one of the best American songwriters, I think. Every year I buy the ACL poster and have 1 artist sign it. This year it was Rodney. Previous years has been Shawn Colvin, Patty Griffin, Rosanne Cash, Shelby Lynn, KT Tunstall and Lucinda Williams.

2 comments:

Adina said...

Jenny Scheinman. She's a ringer, and brilliant. She is a skilled jazz violinist, plays with Bill Frisell and her own groups, and also has her own country-folk album out. I lived in Austin for a while and miss the music, thanks for the blog.

Peter said...

I have always wanted to thank the people of Austin for a splendid time had at ACL 2008 by 3 Scots from Glasgow. Rodney gained a new fan that day namely me. He was one of the many highlights of a great festival.

Thanks Austin.