Saturday, May 19, 2012

WE WALK THE LINE Tribute for Johnny Cash 80th Birthday at ACL Moody Theatre 4-20-12



I could just list the names of all who played this show and that would be all that needs to be said:

Willie Nelson
Kris Kristofferson
Lucinda Williams
Shelby Lynne
Sheryl Crow
Brandi Carlile
Rhett Miller (Old 97's)
Ronnie Dunn
Sam Beam (Iron & Wine)
Pat Monahan (Train)
Amy Lee (Evanescence)
Jamey Johnson
Shooter Jennings
Andy Grammer
Carolina Chocolate Drops
Buddy Miller
Don Was
Kenny Aronoff
Ian McLagan (recent inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!)
Greg Leisz
Matthew McConaughey (host)

What a night!  Going into this we knew it was gonna be great but really, I don't think you can anticipate just how spectacular a concert can be until it's presenting itself.  After the opening rave up with Brandi Carlile doing "Folsom Prison" came Andy Grammer, somebody we were not familiar with, who proceeded to do a smashing version (including some beatboxing!) of "Get Rhythm."  After that 1, 2 start we kind of looked at each other and said ok!
There was never a letdown.
Some other highlights now a month after the fact:  
Ronnie Dunn (never a Brooks & Dunn fan) did the coolest "Ring of Fire" I've ever heard.  He had 2 women playing the mariachi trumpets and believe me, the 3 of them lifted that entire room way up into the air.
Carolina Chocolate Drops did "Jackson."  Had never seen them and loved everything about those folks.  It was acoustic and included a cello.  As far as I can remember they were the only ones who did not use the house band.
I wish I could remember what song Amy Lee did.  I've heard of Evanescence but couldn't name you one of their songs.  Her voice blew me away.
There were collaborations.  Sheryl, Rhett & Brandi performed together as did Shelby and Pat.  Sheryl and Willie did "If I Were A Carpenter."  Kris, Shooter and Jamey did "Highwayman."
For me, the drop dead I'll never forget if I live to be 150 you had to be there jaw dropping goose bumping wrist slashing came when Lucinda Williams hit the stage and did "Hurt."  Just as "Ring of Fire" lifted us to the rafters, "Hurt" put us on our knees.  God, that was a powerful 3 minutes.  Times like that all you can do is acknowledge the living soul of music.
The night ended with everybody on stage singing "I Walk The Line."  I did pull out the camera for that and filmed it.  You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPLQ0-O92V0&list=UU0uR133ey7uy83Hph3qJiTw&index=4&feature=plcp

No comments: