Saturday, May 19, 2012

BUTCH HANCOCK at Rock Garden 5-5-12

Not much you can say that hasn't already been said about this great, great songwriter.  So, I'll tell you instead about going to shows at special places.  Things are changing in Austin.  Or maybe I'm just getting older and less tolerant of less than stellar listening experiences.  Now I look to go to shows where it's all about the music.  So, even though it's getting tougher to go out to a club and have a good experience, that's led to house concerts, small rooms and other ways to hear live music.
The Rock Garden is one of those places.  It's a back yard.  That's an understatement.  It's big, roomy, a natural amphitheatre, gorgeous view.  So yes, the atmosphere for music is about as good as it gets.  This was my first time here.  I'm not sure how often they hold concerts but they have a nice little stage built, great sound system and everybody listens.  And into this setting we get Butch Hancock.  What more could you ask for?
He did 2 sets, about 45 minutes each.  Got my all time favorite "If You Were A Bluebird!"  Also heard some new songs that will be coming out on a solo Hancock cd and also new Flatlanders material.  Believe both are due out later this summer.
Did video my favorite song and you can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My_Q_zAUDYI&list=UU0uR133ey7uy83Hph3qJiTw&index=3&feature=plcp

No comments: