Sunday, September 13, 2009

FLORAMAY HOLLIDAY, SHELLEY KING & LEEANN ATHERTON at Threadgill's 8-28-09

Boy, it feels like a long time since I was at this show. It's been a little over 2 weeks with a vacation thrown in, but I'll try to remember as best I can.
This was a triple bill among friends so there was a neat camaraderie and much collaboration.
First up was Floramay. I was not aware of her at all until this night. She made a fan out of me straight away. Country rock with a cool voice, nice melodies, good lyrics and a great stage presence. She likes to kick it up and that makes it fun to watch. She gets swampy, country, folky, bluesy and rocks it, too. I can't wait to see her again. She has a new record out called "Dreams." I will be picking it up. I did video a song from it called "Things You Do." Shelley & Leeann sing on it, too. Check it out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM43RpEum04&feature=channel_page

Next up was Shelley. I was so excited to see her again with the band and they did not disappoint. I love this cast of characters. They are great musicians, singers and the songs are toe tappers, great rhythms, just so much fun, period. I find myself smiling through her entire show. You can't beat that. She writes great songs and she's got a bunch of them. I did get a killer video of them doing "Call Of My Heart." It really captures their vibe, I think. Right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HrHssVPWeQ&feature=channel_page

Leeann Atherton is someone I've heard of but never seen until this night. I was looking forward to it. She has a new record out called "Heart Traveled Road" and this was a cd release show. What a surprise! She has one of those voices, like Lucinda Williams or Lou Ann Barton, that drips with Southern soul. You just can't be white and sing like that unless you are from the south. Don't ask me why. That's just how it is. She does a lot of bluesy, gospel, roots rock type stuff. I was pretty tired by the time she came on but her voice grabbed me. I look forward to seeing her again when I'm more alert. I think I"m gonna like her a lot.

No comments: