Thursday, July 9, 2009

BETTYSOO at Cactus Cafe 7-8-09

This was a full band show and it's been a while since I've seen one. Even though the cd release show was with the band, that was a different deal what with Gurf playing, all the guests, etc...
We had to choose between Kevin Welch at the Continental Club or BettySoo at Cactus. Had several friends who went to Kevin's show and I haven't talked to them yet but I am so happy we did not miss this show! BettySoo and the band were in GREAT form. You would think by now I would be less easily surprised but last night we were blown away. She sang out strong and the band was intense. Maybe it's me but it seemed like they were all in every moment of every song.
Lately it's been all of the great, new record "Heat Sin Water Skin" but last night we got the entire catalog plus several killer covers. I love her covers. She always does them justice. Kind of reminds me of Shawn Colvin, in that way. We got Gram Parson's "Luxury Liner," Guy Clark's "Dublin Blues," Hank William's "Lonesome Whistle," Dylan's "Serve Somebody" and one I can't remember the name of that was also great.
She is carving out a name for herself these days with the new record but what shouldn't be overlooked is all of the great material up to this point. We got to hear older gems like "Secrets," "If You Fall," "Easy Living," and one of my very favorites, "The Story Of Us."
The band. Like I mentioned, they were sizzling on this night. Funky, rocking, twangin.' Jeff Plankenhorn is back on lead guitar. He is great. You know, I love watching guitarists rip a great solo but I really enjoy watching someone like him dip in and out of a song. Sounds so good. He sings with her, too and they sound sweet together.
The show was close to 2 hours with a short break. $8 cover. Another bargain. We will continue to take advantage of these small, intimate, bargain shows with BettySoo while we can because at some point they will come to an end. She is the real deal.

http://bettysoo.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jeffplankenhorn

No comments: