Monday, June 8, 2009

NAKIA And His SOUTHERN COUSINS, ELIZABETH WILLS at Central Market 6-5-09

This was a doubleheader, so to speak. Central Market, on the north side, (yes, it is a grocery store)has an outdoor patio and have live music quite often, free, no less. Last Friday evening they had 2 people I have been trying to get out and hear. Nakia, I saw briefly at a benefit last summer and also at the Austin Music Awards this past March. Elizabeth, I hadn't heard at all but I've been seeing her name alongside other artists I really like so I figured she was someone I needed to hear. Went to her myspace page, liked what I heard, so off we went.
Elizabeth played for an hour. She is a singer/songwriter, a girl with a guitar. I know, it sometimes seems there are a million of them in Austin. Anyway, we enjoyed her very much. The first time I hear someone I just like to listen to how they sound and if I like their melodies. She has good ones. And her songs don't all sound alike, which I appreciate. She also has a really nice voice. That's about all I ever get out of a first time show. Do I want to hear them again or not? She is one I will want to see again and get more familiar with her music. She will be doing some shows with Shelley King over at ArtZ Ribhouse on Wednesday nights so we will get to some of those shows for sure.
Check her out here:

http://www.myspace.com/elizabethwillsmusic

Nakia. I was familiar with his music a little bit as it is being played on KGSR and from the brief couple of times I have seen him. I'll tell you this. He oozes soul out of every pore. You can tell he just can't help it. The guy is good! I couldn't help but think as I listened, you just don't hear people who sing like that anymore. This is a serious rhythm and blues singer.
On this night he had the "Fresh Up Girls" with him. Two women who sing background and dance, a real throwback but it works. The band consists of guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. I'm sure in a full concert, Nakia puts on quite the show. This was only an hour so I need to get to a complete gig.
I bought his recently released debut record, "Water To Wine" and it is a good, solid album from beginning to end. If you like r&b, buy this disc, turn it up and roll the windows down!

http://nakia.net/
http://www.myspace.com/nakia

No comments: