Monday, June 8, 2009

JENNY REYNOLDS at Ski Shores 6-6-09

This is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've seen Jenny but they were always short shows or song swaps. This performance was the 1st time I got to hear much of her material. It was also the only time I've seen Scrappy Jud Newcomb play with her. He produced her latest record, and it's a good one, called "Next To You."
This was a fun night. Hadn't been to Ski Shores before. It is a little waterfront cafe on the shores of Lake Austin. You can pull in by boat or by car. Unfortunately, I have to come by car.
Jenny and Scrappy did 3 sets, each lasting about 45 minutes. Again, another free show. I don't know how anybody makes any money in this town, to tell you the truth. A tip jar and that's it.
Jenny's songs grow on you. I liked her from the start but the more I hear her, the more those songs wrap around you. Simple songs about one red light towns and the people who live in them. There are probably a million songs with those themes but she brings a different, fresh voice to them. You really feel like you know the characters in those songs. I don't know anything about songwriting but I'll bet that's not the easiest thing to do.
She does this song called "Never Let Him Go." You think simple but read those lyrics:

She's still wearing her high school ring.
He left town nine months in
She had a girl, and cried her tears
He's been gone for fifteen years.
He's gone, but she'll never let him go.

Each day comes like the one before
She's thinking 'bout him more and more
He took her out 'cause he was bored
Stole her love in a brand-new Ford.
He's gone, but she'll never let him go.

She breaks down and wonders where he is.
Remembers every word he said, and every kiss.

This is her life, there go those years,
Each new day the same old fears.
He's gone, but she'll never let him go.

He knows that she had his little girl.
He knows that they brought a life into this great big world.

But he don't know her face, don't know her name,
She's on his mind, just the same.
He's gone, but she'll never let him go.
He's gone, but she'll never let him go.

That last verse! Pow!
Needless to say, I appreciate her writing. She is one to really listen to. I would prefer to see her in a less party atmosphere kind of place although I definitely enjoyed the ambiance of Ski Shores. I love the water. It is a pretty little setting there.
And getting to hear Scrappy sit in with anybody is always a special treat. If I ever get the videos posted that I took that night, check out his playing! They did a great cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Early Mornin' Rain." I swear Jenny was channeling Gillian Welch on that one. At least that's how I imagine Gillian would sing it. Sounded great! Speaking of covers, she also does The Beatles "I'm Looking Through You" on her latest record. She does it justice and usually I don't like covers of Beatles songs.

No comments: