Friday, April 10, 2009

SONGWRITER TRIBUTE TO BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN at Cactus Cafe 4-6-09

The night after the Springsteen concert in Austin, Southpaw Jones put on his 2nd annual(ish) free show. It is a benefit for the Capital Area Food Bank. He invites local singer/songwriters to play Bruce's music.
I got to hear many musicians I hadn't heard before, including Southpaw. Coming the day after the concert, this was a lot of fun (other than being very tired!).
I enjoyed everybody but there were 3 which stood out for me.
First was Southpaw's version of Two Hearts. He slowed it done and really sang it like the love song it is.
Second, Matt the Electrician did a cool Born in the USA, accompanied by Scrappy Jud Newcomb. Matt used a cajon drum and played it, style wise, somewhat similar to the version Bruce does on the Tracks record.
Third, and a stunner, was Jess Klein singing Highway 29. I could kick myself for not videoing this. She had Scrappy accompany her on guitar while she sat on a stool and sang this song better than Bruce does it. I'm not kidding you. She really made this one her own. Everybody in the place was totally mesmerized. If I ever see her again (and I definitely plan to) and Scrappy is with her, I'll surely request it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your comments about Jess Klein. I understand that she'll be playing this Wednesday - tax day - at Antone's at 11:00 p.m.

Deb said...

Thanks for letting me know. That is too late for me though! I need to start looking for her gigs and get to one soon.