Monday, April 6, 2009

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN And The E STREET BAND at Frank Erwin Center 4-5-09

Holy cow, where to start? Still buzzed from that great dose of BruceJuice last night!
I'll start with the facts. They hit the stage at 8:20pm. Played non-stop until 10:25pm. Encore went from 10:25pm until 11:15pm. That is 2 hours and 55 minutes total, 28 songs! Mercy!
It was loud. How loud? I was a little scared once the music stopped and I could feel my ears. They hurt and I couldn't hear very well. Everything sounded muddy. That loud.
Our seats - killer! Along the sideline, probably 40 feet from the stage, great sight line, 9 rows off the floor and on an end aisle. Everyone around us - fantastic! Totally into the show and having a great time.
We got several premieres (granted, it's early in the tour, 3rd show) but they were terrific: Prove It All Night, Youngstown, Sherry Darling, She's The One, Jungleland, I'm A Rocker and Glory Days.
This tour, which is in support of Working On A Dream, Bruce has a definite theme he's getting across. Due to the troubled times, every night he's been playing Badlands, Seeds, Johnny 99 and Hard Times. Throw in the other stuff like Youngstown or Ghost of Tom Joad and you get the idea. But he always brings the hope with him too: Promised Land, Land of Hope and Dreams and American Land.
And of course, the fun stuff! The all out rockers! Out In The Street, She's The One, I'm A Rocker, 10th Avenue Freeze-out and Born To Run.
The show was fast paced. No time between songs, just boom, boom, boom. Bruce put on his usual over the top, hardest working rocker in the world show. It was a blast from beginning to end. I have a bruise on my inside palm from clapping so hard. That's a first for me.
There were a couple of awesome guitar solos from Nils on Because The Night and Youngstown.
They've added a couple of background singers for this tour and they add much, especially on Hard Times. They are stand out, front and center on that song.
Badlands into Outlaw Pete is epic! Seeds sounds better than ever.
The guttural screams on Jungleland still bring chills.
My only complaint is I wish there was more from the new record being played. 5 songs wasn't enough.
I did get some pretty darn good videos if I do say so myself:

Working On The Highway (in it's entirety)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POivKW4mc9c&feature=channel_page

Sherry Darling (most of it-security shut me down with about a minute left in the song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0lCBVUQguk&feature=channel_page

Born To Run (two videos - first one is the beginning of the song, I had too much light so I shut it down and changed the settings - second video is the rest of the song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vxtUd6IEGM&feature=channel_page
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdVs_h3pI6M&feature=channel_page

Glory Days (complete song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ekcvh7QUt8

2 days to rest up and then on to Houston!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your photos from last night, Deb. Well done. I came across your blog on a purely selfish mission, though: I'm wondering if you happened to get a shot of Bruce singing "Waiting on a Sunny Day" with a blond-haired boy? That was my son, and I'm dying to get a shot of that moment. You can reach me at jbelviston@gmail.com. And if you didn't happen to get that shot, I still enjoyed looking through your photos. ...

Mark Coffey said...

Long-time Bruce fan and fellow Austinite who was fortunate enough to get on the front row, just a little off center on the Nils side...unforgettable to see the Boss from the front row, let me tell you. Thanks for the photos and write-up...

Deb said...

Mark,
Great show to be front row at! The energy down there was something to see.
Deb