Sunday, January 24, 2010

JOHN FULLBRIGHT at Momo's 1-22-10

First time seeing John and all I can say is you have got to be kidding me. I'm not sure how long its been since a new to me artist left me with my mouth on the floor. It's been a couple of days and I still can't believe how good this guy is.
First of all, he's only 21 or 22. He writes way beyond his years. Then he's got this voice that is SO expressive. Very soulful, all the emotion of the song is there. He's from Oklahoma and you hear it. I tell ya, this kid is the REAL DEAL! I am excited to come across him and can't wait to see/hear more of him. He played guitar, piano and harmonica.
His slot at Momo's was from 8-10pm. He did the first set solo, took a break, came back on and had guests sit in. Well, all I can tell you, being in Austin and loving music is like living in heaven.
First came Kevin Welch, along with his son Dustin on banjo, for a song. Then Kevin's daughter Savannah and Kelley Mickwee joined in for some harmonizing. Then Dustin did a couple with Kevin and Savannah helping out. Truly awesome, this family!
Up next was Randy Weeks! He did a couple, including a new one (love when this happens!) possibly called "Sugar Lee" and also backed a guy named Ramsay Midwood. This Ramsay guy, I'd never even heard of and he was spectacular! Walked up with this cool looking old guitar that was duct taped together and did this bluesy, swampy kind of Tony Joe White sounding killer song! I remember turning to my friends and saying "isn't it great to live in Austin!"
Then up comes Idgy Vaughn! Now she is somebody I've heard of, wanted to see, but hadn't yet. She only did 1 song but it was a killer honky tonk number and she has a heckuva voice!
God, what a night! All that talent in one room. Hard to believe. $10 cover, what a bargain. We all walked out raving, shaking our heads about how great this night was. This is one we'll be talking about for a long time.

2 comments:

wordnerd said...

Great meeting you and discovering your blog! I sat at your table with David Schunck. I definitely second your response to John Fullbright. I saw him last year at Woodyfest in Okemah but saw him in a crowded, noisy bar, so this was a revelation. I went to Ramsay's show the following evening at Jovita's (I'm a huge Ramsay Midwood fan) and John sat in on piano. He did some great keyboard work but only sang one song. Ramsay Midwood and Randy Weeks play many Wednesdays at Sam's Town Point, a little joint off Manchaca and Slaughter. The gigs are often last-minute so friend him on Facebook to get updates. If he posts "tonight at STP" that means Sam's. Regan Brown

Unknown said...

Hi Deb,
I agree, what a night. I'm glad that you got a chance to hear him before he completely blows up. Jimmy LaFave's label just signed him and he's making his first record now.
He has turned the head of every songwriter I know. We've all been watching him for the past year or so, kind of enthralled. And we've been walking around humming his songs, too, because they're so special. He's a good soul, and with a rare quiet consideration, so much so that those of us who are around him now have a kind of protective attitude toward him. He was just up at the Folk Alliance conference in Memphis. That thing that happens when suddenly someone is about to get really big is already happening for sure.
One last thing: John brings out the best in the people around him, both onstage and off. I hope you continue to follow his career. It's going to be a hell of a ride.
Thanks,
Idgy